Followers

Monday, July 21, 2008

Tanglin Integrated Secondary Technical School - 1966 - 1969

TISTS taken in 1968


The Badge reflected Technical Education
From Birkhall Primary, I went to Tanglin Integrated Secondary Technical School. It was not my first choice which was Queenstown Technical School, one of the more popular school in the 60s when Technical education was top.
I was in the second batch of Tanglin pupils. Already, the pioneer group was making headlines by winning the National Badminton title.

During those days we have the Chinese stream pupils as well. There were no problem mixing with them.

After secondary one, I was surprised that many of my friends were posted to Queenstown Technical to continue their studies. Till this day, I did not know why I remained in TISTS.

In Sec 3 I was streamed to do Woodwork which I didn't fancy as Metalwork was more 'glamorous'. However I dug on. In Tech 4A, I did Woodwork and Building Drawing as two subjects besides pure sciences and additional mathematics. I began to enjoy the Building Drawing lessons as it required us to draw very fine details. Some of my friends did Metalwork and Mechanical Drawing. I could still remember the drawing room which was located on the top left corner of the building. (see above)

It must be noted that we didn' t get to wear long pants during our upper secondary days. Some kind of policy, I guess.
Tech 4A (1969) in short pants

4 comments:

Melvyn Goh said...

Hello Sir! I would like to request for your kind permission to use two of your pictures for a TV show on Channel 5. I will credit the pictures that they were from your website. I hope that is ok? - Melvyn@captivate.sg

rose n thorn said...

Melvyn
No problem

RB said...

Hello Sir. May I also use a photo of the TISTS school building found in your website for our school's SG50 project? Thanks much.

rose n thorn said...

No issue