Followers

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

RI Soccer - Ortega Cup 2008

I missed this year's game again as I have booked my holidays ticket. It is always an experience to meet up with all the old RI soccer 'boys' again after 30 years. They still gave the same respect to those former teachers like Alfred Chen and Seetoh Mun Chap who dropped by to watch this yearly soccer meeting with SJI, even though some of them are of come standing in the local community now.
I am so glad that ORA began the Suhaimi Ali Cup for the U16. I remembered the late Suhaimi as a humble, shy and quietly determined person who spent hours training the U16 and U18 RI soccer team in the early 80s. His younger brother, Juraimi also captained RI soccer team. My earlier blog had a picture of him with the victorious U18 team. He need not shout but command immediate respect from the boys with his earnest voice. Even in victory, I remembered the boys had to look for him and dragged him forward to lift the Cup. I guessed he believed that the boys deserved all the accolades and should enjoy the limelight. Very quickly, he would quickly moved into the shade again. A great man. RIP

No comments: