Followers

Friday, July 18, 2008

Margaret Drive flat 1959 - 1963












Old Black & White photographs from NHB - the glory days when the Polyclinic was officially opened
In late 50s, my family, namely, my parents, two younger brothers and me moved to a new 3-room flat at 242-A, Margaret Drive. It was a 4-story building. The house had a verandah which we avoided esp when the fourth storey neighbour shot 'bullets' at us with his catapult. It also saw the birth of television. My brothers and I had to crowd into the verandah of our ground floor neighbour to watch 'Lassie'. The house was big esp the bathroom.


This very spot was where my house was built

There was a building behind which was abandoned as it was sinking, being built too near to the Alexandra canal.
There was a great playmate by the name of Edward. He was dumb and we communicated using sign languages. His brother was Philip and they stayed in the next block. The last I saw him was when we moved out in 1963 just after my father passed away due to tubercolosis.


Picture taken in 1959/60 at the Margaret Drive market
The brickwall is still standing today.

When I returned to shop at NTUC Margaret Drive, it brought back those memories as 242-A was on the exact spot where the cinema building is now. I also remembered looking out for my father who would alight at the bus stop near the present Margaret Drive library. He always carry the day's newspaper, rolled.
Now, Margaret Drive is changing rapidly. The old market is gone though the building remained. The two-storey shop houses were gone.

The pictures above showed the opening ceremony of the Queenstown Polyclinic and the blocks behind it. This view is EXACTLY the one which I would see looking from my old Margaret Drive house!!!

View towards Polyclinic (circa August 2008)

The abandoned Polyclinic as it is in August 2008
Very soon, the Polyclinic would be torn down for the new development of Margaret Drive. Sad happening that is very frequent in Singapore. One day here, next day gone.    
Similarly, the cinemas will go too after their glory days in the 80s.

No comments: