Followers

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My Teaching Career (1993 - 2001)

Chua Chu Kang Secondary - the First year
When I first met Ms Sum Chee Wah in December 1992, I saw a firm but pleasant lady in a long skirt. She was starting the school and I could see that there were still renovation work going on. The Christian Cross at the front porch was taken down. I get to know that the premises was meant to be for St Margaret Secondary but they finally declined to move in.
As I was late, Mr Soon left though he was supposed to introduce me to Ms Sum. It was like an interview and I guess I was accepted, easy because I was a common teacher. Coincidentally, I met Mr Ong Hong Teong whom I knew. He was there slightly earlier than me.
It was an exciting time as there was a spirit of being on a mission. There were so many things to start anew though the uniform of olive green was already chosen. The badge was later designed with the logo, Serve, Grow and Excel.
The original team at CCKS included Celine Koh (Humanities), Mrs Quah Hui Tin (Art), Mrs Beatrice Kwek (HE), Jenny Wong (English), Mr Tan Suan Tin (a temporory teacher in PE) and Zulkiflee (WS Instructor) with Mr Samat (gardener)
There were 8 classes in the first year, 2 NT, 2 NA and 4 express.
Already, there were inherent problems with the NA and NT classes when they came in from primary schools. Some were gang followers (PHT and AST) and their problems were evident at around the Teck Whye blocks. Police were called in a few times. Ms Sum did not spare the cane and I became the unofficial discipline master.
The school did attempt to change its name to Stagmont Secondary but was rejected for some reasons. Even the name CHUA CHU KANG was not to be changed into its hanyu pinyin version of CHOA CHU KANG.
It was a pleasant year, not knowing that a tsunami was to hit CCKS.

No comments: