Followers

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Passing of Mr Lee Kuan Yew

Sunday, 22 March 2015: As our family prepared to go for my wife's birthday dinner at Causeway Point, the sudden thunderstorm which started around 1630 was particularly heavy and strong. The lightnings were striking with such ferocity accompanied by very loud thunder, that we thought an earthquake had struck. My wife and I were saying to each other that 'the sky seemed to be making a loud statement, something is going to happen soon'. It really happen!!!!

Monday 23 March 0318 hrs : our dear founder PM passed away at SGH where he was hospitalised since Feb 5. He had fought a great battle, whether while living or dying, there will not be another such a great man.
When he took Singapore out of Malaysia in 1965, I was a primary 5 pupil. The significance of it did not register until when I started secondary school, when we first recited the National Pledge. We began to value our existence as an independent country, in front of my Malaysian friends in Poly later on.
My perception of him was one who was 'unreachable' . He seemed so aloof and far away. I always hear stories of him being a hard taskmaster. Heard that one principal had to leave because the grass in his school was not cut when LKY visited. However, in retrospect, I began to understand his need to be one-minded, do what was required for the survival of the nation, disregarding all distractions and criticisms. He did what was right for Singapore, set the direction to move forward. There were so many initiatives that came from his foresight.....the Marina Bay, Singapore River Cleanup, Gardens by the Bay, self sufficiency in water supply, etc. As a son of Singapore, I give my upmost respect for him. It made me proud to be a Singaporean, especially when other countries gave us respect when we visited them as tourists.
May he rest in peace. May he find peace in heaven, to be with his dear wife.



  
                                             Mr Lee Kuan Yew 1923 - 2015

No comments: