Followers

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Retirement at Last

Picture of DT Office where I work dated 21 October 2013
At last, I received the official retirement letter from MoE which says : On behalf of the Ministry, I would like to express our utmost appreciation and gratitude for your many years of contribution. Your retirement with effect from 2 Jan 2014 has been approved. Your last day of service will be 1 Jan 2014.
Signed : DD, Employee Engagement Centre for PS (Education Development)

When I submitted my application for retirement on 1 October, I felt a sense of great relief and some apprehension. Relief that I am leaving this place and some of the people here for good. Apprehension that there will be a change of routine after more than 3 decades of work.

Though I was quite sure to ask for retirement next year, the tipping point for sending in the letter was a SMS from Mrs Teo K H on 17 Sept asking me to join her at RVH. Not sure if she knew that I am retiring or that I already retired but it came out of the blue. Thus the hurried letter to MoE, giving less than 4 months required notice. Initially, the HR insisted on 4 months notice, only later they acceded after requiring me to write a letter of explanation.

What I will definitely miss: My present upper secondary DT classes ie 3T1 and 3C. Rather sad that I will not able to see them through next year's GCE Coursework.

What was most disappointing : Was told that I am not guaranteed a Contract Adjunct teacher post next year due to the performance 'conditions'. It meant that after teaching for so so long and handled so so many types of pupils, I was told that I may not be able to TEACH again!!!!! What an irony and a blow.

No comments: